I'm in spring fever mode - I want to purge my closets, clean out the fridge, and give half of my house to goodwill. I'm often guilty of buying ingredients I only need for one meal. This week, i'm making an effort to plan my menu ahead, start with items I have on hand, and hopefully waste a lot less food.
I have three goals in mind:
1) Clean out the pantry and fridge and focus on using up my random collection of ingredients.
2) For any items I have to buy, think of ways to stretch the ingredients from one meal to the next.
3) Choose a new recipe to try (and actually follow it - this is rare for me)
Here is what I have on hand (much of which is leftover from a build-your-own pizza party last weekend)
-fresh ricotta cheese; half bags of grated mozzarella and cheddar
-2 tomatoes, half box spinach, 1 red onion, fresh garlic, half container of sliced mushrooms
-leftover Pizzetta's marinara sauce (the best marinara sauce ever)
-a huge variety of half boxes of pasta
- fresh Oregano
-frozen chicken breasts
- 1/2 of 32 oz box of chicken stock
1) Baked Penne
*Use: half box regular penne, half box whole wheat penne, mozzarella, ricotta, Pizzetta's sauce, oregano
*Buy: ground sirloin, fresh parsley
2) Greek Chicken served with Sautéed Spinach and Garlic with Mushrooms
*Use: frozen chicken, garlic, spinach, fresh oregano, mushrooms
*Buy: feta, lemon, fresh parsley
3) Smothered Pork Chops with Cheese Grits (Food Network Magazine)
*Use: chicken stock, red onion, grated cheddar
*Buy: pork chops, grits, fresh parsley
Hopefully this will become a weekly effort. Wish me luck!