Is there any more obvious picnic staple than potato salad? I think not. I like to lighten mine up by dressing it with a vinaigrette as opposed to a mayonnaise based sauce. This salad really gets better the longer it sits or chills, so it's perfect for a potluck!
* 1 (3lb) bag of red potatoes (this makes enough for a crowd!)
* 3 tbsp. chicken stock
* 2 tbsp. dry white wine (such as chardonnay)
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 2 tbsp. shallot, finely minced (about 1 small shallot)
* 1 lemon, juiced
* 2 tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
* 2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
* 2/3 c. olive oil
Scrub the potatoes clean, then chop into bite size pieces. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender (20 min). Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together all remaining ingredients. When potatoes have finished cooking, drain them, then return to the pot. Dress potatoes immediately with the vinaigrette. Chill for 1-2 hours, or serve at room temperature.